Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Spaceship Earth


Ok, I wasn’t going to do this, but every time I go to Epcot it hits me right in the face. I remember coming to Epcot the year it opened. I think somewhere in my archive I have the commemorative poster I recieved at the opening of Captain EO (Yikes!). I remember my first ride on Horizons (I chose space but everyone else wanted underwater). I loved playing with the pin tables in the Imagination Pavilion, right after a chat with the Dreamfinder. Of course I still find myself humming Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit.

I can take change, yet riding that new Spaceship Earth just really bothers me. Its not that the old ride didn’t need an update, in fact I love the Steve Wozniak reference, the 1969 moon landing reference is great, and I even like morphing cave drawings, but the new ride is just plain bad.

I was there during the soft launch and although they have made some subtle updates, I have already exhausted all of the possible “futures” they can offer me on the way back. The original was at least campy, but the new “return to Earth” section is not only disappointing, but its such a sad cheap ending.

Please Disney, make it better. Please Please Please!

p.s. I don’t mind the new Spaceship Earth Pavilion, that part is tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment